14 Best Side Hustles for Working Moms
As a busy mom, you may not have time to take on another full-time job. But that doesn’t mean you can’t make some extra money on the side. If you’re a mom and you want to earn side income, it can feel like an impossible mission—what are the best side hustles for working moms that gives me flexibility? Can I even find the time for side hustling?
I work a full time job and also raise two kids. It’s A LOT to handle but I decided to take on a side hustle, blogging, so that I can learn new skills while also making money to do something I enjoy. I love writing and it’s become an outlet from all of the daily stresses and pressures of working mom life.
There are lots of other benefits to taking on a side hustle and thankfully these days there are so many opportunities to do contract work right from the comfort of your home.
To help you find the perfect side job for you, I came up with a list of side hustles that working moms can do to earn side income and won’t take too much of your time away from your kids and home responsibilities.
And don’t forget to grab your FREE guide on How to Plan a Stress-Free Week without Burnout, which includes my top hacks and an editable weekly planner to help busy, working moms achieve a calmer, more productive week!
Why Every Mom Should Have a Side Hustle
So, why should every mom have a side hustle? Here are a few reasons:
- Extra income: A side hustle can provide you with some much-needed extra income, especially if you’re a single mom and sole provider. This can also be helpful if you’re trying to save up for something big, like a down payment on a house or a trip to Europe.
- Staying sharp: A side hustle can be a great way to learn new skills.
- Meet new people: Side hustles are a great way to meet people who can help you in your career or provide professional connections that could lead to future opportunities.
- Fun: A side hustle can be something fun that you do for extra money—perhaps something you already enjoy as a hobby!
How Moms Can Make Time for a Side Hustle
Moms have a lot of responsibilities, especially if you’re a single mother without help at home to carry the burden. But that doesn’t always mean you can’t find time for a side hustle.
Here are some ways moms can make time for side hustling:
- One way to make time for side hustling is to get up a little earlier in the morning. This can be a great way to get a head start on your day and maybe even get some work done before the kids wake up.
- Another way to make time for side hustling is to use any breaks you have, including lunch breaks, during the day wisely. This can be a great opportunity to block off time to work on your side hustle, even if it’s just in small increments.
- Finally, you can also take advantage of any downtime in your work schedule or at home to side hustle. This can be a great way to get some side work done without spending too much time away from your family.
What Kinds of Side Hustles are Best for Moms?
There are a few qualities that make a side hustle a good option for moms:
- First, the side hustle should be something that you’re interested in and that you enjoy doing, like a hobby,. This makes it more likely that you’ll stick with it and less likely to feel like a chore.
- Second, the side hustle should be something that is flexible and can be done on your own time. This is important since moms often don’t have a lot of extra time to devote to side hustles. For example, I typically only have 2-3 hours per day after my kids go to sleep to dedicate to my blog.
- Finally, the side hustle should be something that can bring in some extra income. This is essential, especially if you’re trying to save up for something or if you’re looking to supplement or eventually, replace your income.
The Best Side Hustles for Working Moms
If you’re a mom and you’re looking for a side hustle, you’re in luck. Now more than ever, there are a lot of great side hustles that can be done on your own time and don’t require a lot of extra work.
I’ve come up with a list of side hustles that are perfect for busy moms who want to make some extra money. These side hustles are flexible, fun, and can be done from the comfort of your own home.
Ready to dive in? Check out my list below of the best side hustles for moms!
Freelancing can be a great side hustle because it allows you to make money doing something you enjoy. There are a lot of different freelance opportunities out there, such as photography or becoming a freelance writer, so you should be able to find something that fits your skills and interests.
For example, if you have tech skills, some good freelance side hustles can include programming, web design, and app development.
Pros of becoming a freelancer:
- One of the best things about freelancing is that you can work from anywhere and make money from the comfort of your couch with your baby snoozing by your side. This gives you the flexibility to work on your own schedule.
- You also don’t have to worry about dealing with a boss or office politics.
- Freelancing side hustles can be done in your free time for just a few hours a day, although it can take more time if you’re working on large projects that require uninterrupted chunks of time.
If you’re interested in freelancing, here are a few tips:
- Start by building a portfolio of your work.
- Network with other freelancers and connect with potential clients online.
- Do your research to charge the best rate for your skills and experience.
Did you know that many people make a side income from blogging? I started a blog for side hustling and it has been such a rewarding experience to learn about writing, entrepreneurship and more while earning income on the side.
Benefits of becoming a blogger:
- Blogging makes side income through a number of ways. These include ad revenue from your blog, affiliate links from your blog, sponsored blog posts, and selling your own digital products, like e-books and courses.
- Blogging is a great side gig for moms because it can be done from home in just a few hours a day, and it requires very little startup costs.
- Another great thing about blogging is that it can help you stay sharp and keep your skills up-to-date. I learn something new everyday with blogging. This can be beneficial for moms who want to stay competitive in the workforce after taking time off to raise their kids.
3. Selling Stuff on Etsy or Amazon
Selling stuff on Etsy or Amazon can be a great side hustle if you’re looking for some extra cash.
What’s great about becoming an Amazon or Etsy seller:
- One of the best things about having an online business selling products on Amazon is that anyone can do it. To start, simply create an Amazon seller account, choose which products you want to sell, and create your product listings. A good tip to selling profitable products is to find products that are in high demand but low in supply.
- If you’re crafty and make your own products, consider selling on Etsy. Etsy is great for selling on-demand and personalized products. Selling on Etsy can be a great way to make some extra money for a hobby or passion. In fact, many Etsy sellers make a full-time income from their shops.
One thing to note is that it takes time and effort to make a successful shop whether its Amazon or Etsy. You’ll need to put in the work to design beautiful products, take high-quality photos, and write effective product descriptions.
4. Online Tutor
Online tutoring is one of the best side hustles that you can get involved in. It’s a great way to make some extra money, especially if you’re already a teacher.
There are a few things that you need to keep in mind if you want to be successful as an online tutor:
- The first thing that you need to do is find the right platform. There are a lot of different platforms out there like Chegg and Wyzant, but not all of them are good quality. You want to find a platform that is reliable and that pays its tutors on time.
- The next thing that you need to do is find students. This can be a bit challenging, but it’s definitely not impossible. One of the best ways to find students is through word of mouth. You can also market yourself on social media to find customers.
- You also need to make sure that you communicate effectively. The last thing you want is for your tutoring sessions to fail because of a poor connection or a misunderstanding about the lesson plan.
Online tutoring isn’t necessarily easy money, but if you have the skills to succeed and are an effective educator, it can be a great side hustle.
Pros of online tutoring:
- You can work from home.
- You can create your own schedule and pick up as many clients as you’re able to take on.
- You typically don’t need a formal teaching degree or certification to get started.
5. Take Online Surveys for Cash
Taking online surveys for cash can be great because they are easy side hustles and you can do them in your spare time. While you might not be able to make much money taking online surveys, it’s an easy way to earn grocery money on the side.
Benefits of taking online surveys:
- It’s an easy side hustle to start. Simply sign up to take online surveys on a site like Survey Junkie or Swagbucks.com, earn points for taking surveys, and redeem your points for cash, gift cards, and other items.
- Another great thing about taking online surveys for cash is that it doesn’t require any special skills or training. You can start taking surveys for cash right now and start making money.
One thing to keep in mind, however, is that the amount of money you’ll make in comparison to the amount of time you’ll spend taking surveys might not be worth it. So I still recommend adding another side hustle to your plate that will offer a better ROI.
6. Data Entry
Data entry can be a great side hustle for moms because it’s relatively easy to learn, and there are a number of online platforms that make it easy to find work. It’s a relatively easy job that can be done from home, and there is a lot of demand for it.
There are a few things to keep in mind when considering data entry as a side hustle:
- First, it’s important to have good typing skills and be comfortable using computers.
- You’ll also need to be able to work independently, since this is often a freelance position.
- You can promote your data entry services on sites like Fiverr.com.
Data entry is a flexible side hustle that can be performed anywhere you have an internet connection, but the pay isn’t always steady. This means it’s best suited to someone who doesn’t need a set paycheck each month and is comfortable with some uncertainty.
If you have the skills and the drive, data entry can be a great way to make some extra money. There are plenty of data entry opportunities out there, so don’t hesitate to give it a try.
7. Virtual Assistant (VA)
One of the most versatile side hustles on this list is virtual assistance. Virtual assistants provide administrative support to clients remotely, such as companies or individuals who don’t have in-house assistants yet.
What’s great about becoming a virtual assistant:
- A virtual assistant job is very flexible and allows people to work from home using their own equipment and schedule.
- In most cases, you won’t need any specialized skills to become a virtual assistant. However, having some prior experience or knowledge can help you secure a position and build your client list quickly. It will also help if you have a degree in a related field such as education or business management.
- You can use a variety of your skills to make money as a virtual assistant. This can include anything from bookkeeping and data entry to social media management and customer service.
If you have strong organizational skills and are comfortable with computers, becoming a virtual assistant could be a great way to make some extra money.
There are several ways to become a virtual assistant. You can find freelance gigs online at a website like Upwork.com, or join a virtual assistant company like Zirtual. These companies often provide training and ongoing support to virtual assistants.
If you’re looking for a low-commitment side hustle, becoming a virtual assistant may be the perfect option for you.
8. Content Creator / Writer
There’s nothing more satisfying than writing—except getting paid to write! As a mom, you probably have plenty of experience and opinions, so why not use them to make some side income?
Content creation side hustles include a wide range of side gigs that include writing, editing, and even creating YouTube videos and Instagram Reels!
If you’re looking for a side hustle, creating content and writing are great options.
Pros of becoming a content creator or writer:
- You can write and create content from anywhere with an internet connection.
- You can work on your own schedule. If you have a day job and want to squeeze in some writing at night, that’s no problem. Or if you want to take a weekend off to travel, you can easily work ahead and catch up on your writing later.
- You can often make a good income as a content creator. Depending on your skills and the type of writing you do, you could make anywhere from a few hundred dollars a month to a few thousand dollars.
- If you have the right skills, some writing gigs can even turn into full-time jobs with health benefits and other perks.
9. Social media manager
If you love keeping up with your favorite brands and devouring fashion and lifestyle content, why not try making side money by managing social media accounts?
As a social media manager, you would be responsible for managing the social media accounts for businesses or individuals. This can include creating and publishing content, responding to comments and messages, and tracking analytics.
If you have a strong understanding of social media and are good at communicating with customers, this could be a great side hustle for you. There are a number of online courses and programs that can help you get started in this field, and many businesses are always in need of social media managers.
Benefits of becoming a social media manager:
- If you already love being on social media, being a social media manager can be a lot of fun.
- Your creative and marketing skills will help you shine as a social media manager.
- Social media managers are in high demand, therefore, there are a lot of job opportunities in this field.
- You can get training online and build up your experience without a formal degree.
10. Driver for Uber or Lyft
If you’re looking for flexible work, driving for one of the major rideshare companies like Uber or Lyft could be a great side hustle option. Depending on where you live, you can earn good money as a rideshare driver if you have a reliable car and know your way around town.
What’s great about driving with Uber or Lyft:
- Unlike some side hustles, driving for Uber or Lyft doesn’t require any special training or skill set, other than having a clean driving record.
- Both companies also provide in-app features that make it easy to find riders and manage your earnings.
- Driving for Uber or Lyft is a great side hustle option because you can work as much or as little as you want, so it’s perfect if you have other jobs or kids to take care of.
11. Pet sitter
Do you love animals? If you’re looking for a fun and furry-filled side hustle, pet sitting might be just the thing for you!
Not only is it a great way to make some extra cash, but it’s also a great way to meet new people and help out others in your community.
Of course, pet sitting isn’t the right fit for everyone. You’ll need to be comfortable around animals and have some experience caring for them. But if you’re up for the challenge, there are plenty of opportunities to get started in this growing industry.
Pros of pet sitting:
- One of the best things about pet sitting is that there are plenty of ways to get started. You can work for a pet sitting company, start your own business, or join an online pet sitting website, like Rover.com.
- Pet sitting can be a great side hustle for anyone looking to get started quickly with minimal costs.
- If you’re a natural animal lover, it’s a great way to put your love of animals to good use!
If you’re passionate about helping new families and have some experience working with infants, being a doula might be the perfect fit for you. Doulas provide emotional, physical and educational support to mothers before, during, and after childbirth.
With a little training, you could help new parents learn about caring for their babies’ needs at all stages of development. You’ll have unique opportunities to guide mothers through breastfeeding techniques as well as postpartum care.
Every family that hires a doula is looking for someone who can provide support, patience and positivity during this life-changing time in their lives. You could be the one they’ve been waiting for!
Becoming a doula is a great side hustle for those that have a lot of empathy, patience, and communication skills.
Benefits of becoming a doula:
- Doula work is flexible and you can make your own hours.
- It can be a rewarding and emotionally fulfilling job as you’re providing a lot of support to a mother during her most important moments of pregnancy, childbirth, and postpartum.
- You can work as a contractor, for a hospital, or start your own business and charge your own rates.
- Some states don’t require any certification or formal training to become a doula, but there are many in person and online programs that will train you to become a doula.
13. Real Estate Agent
If you’re a people person and love the idea of helping other people find homes, a real estate side gig could be perfect for you.
What’s great about becoming a real estate agent:
- You get to help people find their dream home.
- You’re your own boss and can set your own hours.
- It can be a lucrative side hustle if you’re successful.
If you’re looking to become successful as a real estate agent, it’s crucial that you have a good understanding of the real estate market and be able to work well with clients. A positive attitude and strong people skills are essential when working in this industry.
14. Graphic Designer
Do you like creating beautiful images and designs? If so, there are a lot of different areas where your skills can be used as a side hustle. Whether it’s creating business logos, creating flyers for local events or designing social media graphics for an up-and-coming blogger – the opportunities are limitless.
You’ll need to decide whether you want to go the freelance route or get a contract position at an existing company. Freelancing is often more flexible, but it might require that you invest in your own equipment and supplies.
Pros of becoming a graphic designer:
- You get to be creative and use your imagination.
- Graphic designers are always in high demand.
- You can often work flexible hours.
To become a graphic designer, you don’t necessarily need a bachelor’s degree if you can develop an impressive portfolio and master certain skills such as design software.
These side hustles are great side gigs for busy working moms because they’re easy to start and flexible. Many don’t require any special skills or training, and you can make some side money on your own schedule.
I hope you enjoy these side hustle ideas! Now go make some money!
If you found this post helpful, Pin and save this post for later!
For more helpful resources, check out these great posts:
- 21 Best Jobs for Moms in 2022 that are Flexible
- How Savvy Working Moms Get Help With Household Chores
- The Perfect Morning Routine for Working Moms in 9 Easy Steps
Hi I’m Yesenia,
a working mom of two kids. I’ve experienced all of the beautiful and crazy moments of early parenthood: breastfeeding, picky eaters, toilet training, balancing work with kids, and the list continues!
I created Hard Knock Mama to help working moms navigate through their child’s early years and find a successful balance in their home, work, and life.
Great list! Thank you for sharing! I knew I wanted to be a stay at home mom but I knew that wouldn’t be enough for me too so I definitely recommend a side hustle. Something to keep you busy (as if you aren’t busy enough lol)
Yes, both SAHMs and working moms can benefit from a side hustle. Even though I’m already super busy, I feel like it’s the one thing that’s just for me!
Always looking for new income streams. Thanks
Yes, diversifying your income is important!
This is so helpful for my SAHM friends! Going to share this post with family and friends.
Yes online working/work from home is blessing for moms and house wives, they let them earn some money from ease of home.